Alphabet Letter C Caterpillar Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Alphabet > Letter C > C is for Caterpillar
Insects > Caterpillar > Butterfly
Seasons > Spring
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter C. Review related topics in the themes column.
1. Animals > Insects > Caterpillar
The caterpillar is the larva, or middle life stage of a moth or butterfly. Caterpillars are round and long like worms, but have six legs. They may be brightly colored.
Visit the caterpillar theme lesson plan, online learning resources, crafts and other activities to incorporate with this alphabet presentation.
2. Alphabet Activity > Letter C is for Caterpillar
Present and display your option of letter C printable activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter C coloring page in standard block or D'Nealian font and a caterpillar coloring page 1 or 2 behind it or on a separate page if using finger paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter C words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter C's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter C's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the caterpillar coloring page and write letter C c and the word caterpillar on the margins.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter C (hard C like K)
1. Present the Letter C Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Letter C words: The worksheet and matching mini-book can be used as part of a Letter C program of activities to reinforce letter recognition, initial handwriting practice and to identify related C words.
Discuss other letter C words (long e sound) and images (refer to activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with examples. You can also display letter C posters and coloring pages or make a letter C classroom book. For related images visit: Letter C Printable Materials.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter C's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter C's: Have the children find all the letter C's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter C's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a caterpillar behind the page or print a caterpillar coloring page 1 or 2 to color after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a caterpillar and write letter C c. Share some images of a real caterpillar to inspire the children.
Letter C Word Search & Handwriting Practice
An eight word search game features the caterpillar and letter C words with pictures and handwriting practice.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/c/caterpillar.htm