Consonant Digraph Ch Chicks
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Alphabet > Letter C > Consonant Digraph Ch > Ch is for Chicks or Chicken
Animals > Birds > Farm > Chicks | Chicken
Nutrition > Eggs and Poultry > Chicken
Holidays and Events >
* January 5th > Nat'l Bird Day
* March > Nat'l Nutrition Month
* March or April > Easter
* May 4th > Bird Day
*September > Nat'l Chicken Month
*Oct. 2nd > World Farm Animals Day
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present consonant digraph Ch. Review the educational themes that can be addressed with the topic of chicks and chicken.
Animals > Birds > Farm > Chicken
Visit the chicken theme for animal information, crafts, online nutrition about eggs and poultry.
Alphabet Activity: Consonant Digraph Ch Chicks | Chicken
Present, display and distribute your option of Digraph Ch printable materials listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print thisConsonant Digraph Ch coloring page in D'Nealian or standard block font and a chicks or chicken coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other Ch words found on the worksheet and word search.
Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Using your selection of worksheet, trace digraph Ch's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color digraph Ch's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the chicken coloring page and write Ch and the word chicks or chicken on the margins. Idea: provide a few feathers to paste on the image.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - Consonant Digraph Ch
1. Present the Consonant Digraph Ch Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
This page and matching mini book can be used as part of digraph Ch program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related Ch words.
Discuss other digraph Ch words and images (refer to activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with examples. You can print digraph Ch in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display Digraph Ch posters and coloring pages or make a Digraph Ch classroom book. For related Ch images visit: Letter C Printable Materials
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
*Trace digraph Ch's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the Digraph Ch's: Have the children find all the digraph Ch's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the digraph Ch's and then discuss the locations with the worksheet.
Advanced independent handwriting practice - advanced Kindergarten and above:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw cherries or a cherry tree behind the page or print a chicks or chicken coloring page to color and decorate with feathers after handwriting practice.
1. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color chicks or a chicken, paste some feathers to the body and write digraph Ch ch. Share some real chicken images to inspire the children.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/consonant-digraph-ch/chicks-chicken.htm