Letter D Dolphin Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Letter D > D is for Dolphin
Animals > Marine Mammals > Ocean Animals > Whale family > Dolphin
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter D. The presentation ideally should be part of dolphin themed activities and/or crafts.
Alphabet Activity: Letter D d is for Dolphin
Present and display your option of alphabet printable materials listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter D coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a dolphin coloring image behind it or attach next to the letter D. Discuss other letter D words found on the worksheet and word search.
* Finger Tracing > Trace letter D's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can color and trace the letter D's. After coloring the letter, encourage children to color the dolphin image. Write the word dolphin on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6+
Letter D words: Letter D Activity Worksheet and Mini Book
This worksheet and matching mini-book can be used as part of Letter D program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related d words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter D's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter D's: Have the children find all the letter D's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter D's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
*Coloring Activity: Encourage the children to color the image in the coloring page.
Visit other Letter D Alphabet Printable Materials to make a letter D coloring book and additional activities.
Letter D Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The eight word search game features the dolphin and letter D words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced Handwriting Practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper. Have children draw a dolphin behind the lined paper or select and print a dolphin coloring page behind the lined-paper to color after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper: encourage children to draw and color a dolphin and practice writing letter D d.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/d/dolphin.htm