Instructions and Suggestions
> Letter F
> F is for Fish
Animals > Ocean Animals > Fish Section
Community Helpers > The Fisherman
Crafts > Five Fish in a Fish Bowl
Holidays & Events >
June > Zoo and Aquarium Month
December 27th > Visit the Zoo Day
Online Jigsaw Puzzles
Summer Science > Basic facts about Fish
Bible > Bible Alphabet > Animals in the Bible
This activity focuses on Letter F
recognition and learning basic facts about fish. Many
printable materials are available to support the learning activities.
The activities may be conducted over a period of days as part Fish theme unit and within a broader theme such as an Ocean Animals, Seashore/Beach Theme, Pets: Take Care of Pets
This activity also includes links to a printable craft, pet care activities, music and movement activities with fish theme songs / nursery rhyme and finger play activity.
Suggestion - Include related literature, online reading, or nursery rhymes and visit the Fish Activities and Crafts Section to review all the materials to support a fish theme.
Activity #1: Science - Learning about Fish
Display books with a fish theme
Tip: If you have a book station/area, make sure to display fish themed books that children can browse and devote some time to reading and discussing one or a nursery rhyme*
1. Using a colorful alphabet or fish theme picture book, display it, as you discuss some basic facts about fish. Ask the children what do they know about fish and guide the discussion by writing the information they share in a board.
2. Summarize some facts and here are some suggestions:
* Fish are backboned animals (show children where is their backbone and ask them to find their backbone and feel it).
* Fish breathe through gills and are cold blooded (we, humans are warm blooded).
* Fish come in a big variety of shapes, sizes and colors.
* Many fish are edible, meaning we can eat them. Ask the children if they eat fish. Do they like it?
* Some fish are kept as pets in a fish tank or fish bowl. Related activity: Take Care of Pets
* Fish live in salt or fresh water environments: oceans, rivers, streams, lakes, etc.
Activity #2: Alphabet - Letter F is for Fish or Community Helper & Career > Letter F is for Fishermen
Activity #3: Art & Crafts -Five Fish on a Fish Bowl Craft
Visit this fun craft to address the following skills: colors and numbers practice 1 to 5.
Activity #4: Nursery Rhymes | Numbers 1 to 5
Nursery Rhyme Activities - Fish and Counting Ages 2+
Here are two nursery rhymes to choose from. The first has a number of activities and printable materials to practice numbers and addresses letter f recognition. Select the one that you feel is more appropriate for your group and ages. These provide letter F alphabet and number practice.
Nursery Rhyme Activities: The Fish Counting Rhyme : one, two, three, four, five This rhyme offers additional letter F practice.
Song & Finger play link: Five Little Fishies (external link)
Activity 5 > Story time > Fairy tales > The Fisherman and His Wife (Ages 5+)
Read and discuss this classic fairy tale.
Activity #6: Online Puzzle - Angelfish
Have fun with this 6-piece Angelfish online puzzle. Everyone in the family can enjoy this puzzle - adjust the number of pieces by clicking on the shapes button.
Snack Idea: fishy crackers, baked fish sticks with vegetable dip
*something to color with
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/f/fisfish.htm