Alphabet > Letter H | Animals > Birds > Farm > Chicken | Hen | Nutrition > Protein group > Poultry & eggs | Holidays & Events > Various events | Seasons > Spring | Autumn
Alphabet Letter H Hen
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Animals > Birds > Farm > Chicken > Hen
A hen is an adult female chicken or the female of other closely related birds, such as turkeys, pheasants, and peacocks.
Visit the chicken theme for animal information, crafts, stories, and nutrition about eggs and poultry.
Alphabet Activities > Letter H is for Hen > Present and display your option of printable activities.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter H coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and hen coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints and feathers to decorate later. Discuss other letter H words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter H's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter H's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the hen image. Write the word hen on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ - Alphabet - beginning letter H sound
Letter H Worksheet and Mini Book: These materials can be used as part of Letter H program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related H words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
You can also display letter H posters and coloring pages or make a letter H classroom book. For related images visit Letter H Printable Activities.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter H's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter H's: Have the children find all the letter H's in upper and lower case on the worksheet and encourage them to circle them first. Color the images.
Letter H Word Search & Handwriting Practice: The four and six word search game features the hen and letter H words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced writing practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a hen with chicks behind the page or print a hen coloring page to color and decorate with feathers after handwriting practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color a hen, paste some feathers to the body and write letter Hh.