Alphabet Letter I Ice Cream
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
> Letter I
Holidays & Events >
July > National Ice Cream Month
Nutrition > Dairy Group > Ice Cream
Seasons > Summer
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter I (long i sound). The presentation
ideally should be part of ice
cream themed activities and/or crafts.
Make sure to have real ice cream for this activity!
Activities > Letter I Ice Cream Activities
Print your choice of printable activities in the materials column.
1. Tell the children they are going to have fun with ice cream activities and learn about the letter I i. Show the Letter I Ice Cream poster in color. Tell them letter I i is the easiest letter to write, because it looks like a little stick and also looks a lot like number 1.
2. Ask them what do they see in the poster. Demonstrate and run your finger over the letter I and point to the fact that little "Ii" has a dot on top.
3. Tell them letter "I i" has different sounds in different words, but today they are going to concentrate on just one sound, the one it makes in the word Ice Cream (long i).
Share some other words that carry the same sound - refer to activity worksheet: ice skates, icicle, iron, island.
Activity 2: Letter I Ice Cream coloring page
1. For children ages 3+ distribute the I i Ice Cream coloring page and for older children the handwriting practice worksheet.
2. Have the children circle and color all letter I i's they can find in the page first, assist as needed.
3. Tell them to color the ice cream using colors that reflect their favorite flavors.
Activity 3: Letter I words (long i sound): Letter I Activity Worksheet and Mini Book These materials can be used as part of Letter I program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related letter I words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Discuss other letter I words and images found in the worksheet. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display other I posters and coloring pages or even make a letter I classroom book using coloring images or color posters. Visit Letter I Printable Activities to make your choice.
Advanced Handwriting Practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper. Have children draw and color an ice cream cone behind the lined paper or select and print a this Teddy bear eating ice cream to color after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper: encourage children to draw and color an ice cream cone or dish with ice cream and practice writing letter I i.
Activity 4: Ice Cream Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Skills: Problem solving, alphabet letter recognition, computer skills
Use the Change Cut button to change level of difficulty. The default puzzle is 6 pieces for the youngest children 3+ and older.
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/i/icecreamcone.htm|