Alphabet Letter J Jack-o'-lantern Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Alphabet > Letter J > J is for Jack-o'-lantern
Holidays & Events >
Oct. > Halloween
Nutrition > Vegetables > Pumpkins
Seasons > Autumn
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter J.
Holidays > Halloween > Decoration | Nutrition > Pumpkin >
A jack-o'-lantern is a pumpkin or turnip that is hollowed out and has a face carved into it and a candle in the bottom. Jack-o'-lanterns are used at Halloween as lamps or decorations.
Activity: Pumpkins the Scary Squash
Visit the link above for a fascinating presentation for children about pumpkins and the origins of jack-o'-lanterns.
Visit the pumpkin theme for printable activities and crafts related to jack-o'-lanterns.
Alphabet Activities > Letter J is for Jack-o'-lantern
Present and display your option of letter J printable activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter J coloring page D'Nealian or Standard block and a jack-o'-lantern coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter J words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter J's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter J's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the jet coloring page and write letter J j and the word jack-o'-lantern on the margins.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter J sound
* Present the Letter J Activity Worksheet and Mini-Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
The worksheet and matching mini-book can be used as part of Letter J program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related J words.
Display letter J posters and coloring pages or make a letter J classroom book. For related images visit: Letter J Printable Materials.
Handwriting Practice : Age 4+ Preschool - Kindergarten Worksheet - Available in Standard block or D'Nealian
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter J's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their handwriting practice worksheet.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Encourage children to color the jack-o'-lantern image after handwriting practice.
Letter J Word Search & Handwriting Practice (select six word version)
The six-word search game features a jack-o'-lantern and letter J words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an jack-o'-lantern behind the page or print a jack-o'-lantern coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a jack-o'-lantern and write letter J j.
Online Jigsaw Puzzle Activity > J Jack-'o-lantern
Skills > Problem solving skills and alphabet letter recognition
Here is an online online jigsaw puzzle the children will enjoy. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the Change Cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/j/jackolantern.htm