Themes > Alphabet > Letter K | Animals > Mammals > Desert > Australia > Related > Koala | Holidays & Events > Multicultural > Jan 26th > Australia Day
Alphabet Letter K Kangaroo
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
| Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter K. Present some information,
images, a picture book and craft activity to acquaint children with
the kangaroo and Australia to complement the alphabet activities.
Animals > Mammals > Australia | New Guinea > Kangaroo
A kangaroo is a mammal with long pointed ears, short front legs, and big powerful back legs. Kangaroos use their large tails for balance when hopping. Kangaroos are marsupials that live in Australia and New Guinea. The marsupial females have a pouch in their belly, where they carry their baby for a few months after it is born. A baby kangaroo is called a joey. Some kinds of kangaroos are as small as rabbits; other kinds are as large as grown humans. The largest marsupial and kangaroo is the Red Kangaroo. Other well-known marsupials are koalas and possums. Many of the smaller species are rare and endangered
Alphabet Activity > Letter K is for Kangaroo (and Koala)
Present the K kangaroo and koala six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view letter K in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display this cute color poster of a kangaroo your option of letter K alphabet printable materials listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter K coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a kangaroo coloring page #1, #2 behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter K words - view this worksheet for ideas.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter K's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can color and trace the letter K's with brown or gray the most common colors of the kangaroo's fur. Use finger paints, crayons or water colors. Write the word kangaroo on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter K sound > Present the letter K Worksheet and Mini-book. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Find the letter K's: Have the children find all the letter K's in upper and lower case on the worksheet words and encourage them to circle these first. Discuss other letter K words and images, refer to worksheet.
You can also display other K posters and coloring pages or even make a letter K classroom book using coloring images or color posters. Visit Letter K Printable Activities to make your choice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a kangaroo behind the page or print a kangaroo coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color a kangaroo and write letter K k.
Kangaroo coloring pages:
These printable crafts in color and coloring format templates, feature the kangaroo and joey. These are suitable also for a Valentine's Day and Mother's Day theme.
K Kangaroo & Koala Online Puzzle
Letter K coloring page
Letter K Worksheet and Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Drawing | Writing paper
External links dltk-teach.com
Review lesson plan for printable crafts at DLTK sites