Alphabet Letter O Oak | Tree
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
> Letter O
Crafts > Animals > Birds > Turkey
Oak Leaves & Acorn Turkey Craft
Character Education > Fables > The Oak and the Reeds
Holidays and Events >
*Apr last Friday > Arbor Day
* United States Patriotic Holidays
Online Jigsaw Puzzles >
Seasons > Plants >
Trees > Acorns
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter O. The presentation
ideally should be part of a plants or tree theme
Activity > Character Education > Aesop's Fable > Read, print and discuss the fable The Oak and the Reeds
Alphabet Activities > Letter O is for Oak and activities to celebrate the United States National Tree
This alphabet letter O is for Oak presentation can complement and celebrate America's choice for a National Tree -- the OAK tree. The National Arbor Day Foundation (arborday.org) conducted online "elections" in 2001 - Vote for America's National Tree - and invited Americans to vote to select a national tree. OAK was the people's choice.
* National Tree poster - PDF format @ arborday.org
Present and display the poster and distribute your choice of coloring page for a first introduction and younger children or extended handwriting practice worksheet for advanced Pre-K and higher.
Define, and discuss the word oak
The oak tree: its leaves and fruit, the acorn are traditionally associated with the autumn season. Encourage the children to "dress" the oak coloring page for an specific season with a variety of materials.
* Finger and Handwriting Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your index finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page or tracer. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and point to the number 1 with arrow that help them trace the letter correctly. The letter O is written in once continuous stroke.
*Find the letter 0's: Have the children find all the letter O's in upper and lower case on the coloring page or extended tracer. Encourage them to circle or trace/shade the letter O's first.
Letter O Worksheet and Mini Book: These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Focus on the long O sound words: oval, ocean, oak, overalls, etc If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display posters and coloring pages or even make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: Letter O Printable Activities.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound): A four word search game features an oak image and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an oak tree behind the page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color an oak tree and write letter O o.
O is for Oak Online Jigsaw Puzzle: Skills > Letter recognition and problem solving.
Children will have fun with this six-piece puzzle to practice problem solving skills and letter O recognition. Use the Change Cut button on the left to change number of pieces and shape.
Related printable craft: Autumn Oak Leaves and Acorn Turkey Craft
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/o/oak.htm|