Alphabet Letter O Ocean
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Themes > Alphabet > Letter O | Holidays
& Events > Jun 8th > World Oceans Day | Science > Water > Ocean | Seasons > Summer > Beach
What is the ocean?
1. The vast body of salt water covering about three quarters of the earth's surface.
2. Any of the major divisions of this body of water. The five oceans are: The Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Southern.
Visit the ocean theme for related printable lesson plans, activities and crafts.
Alphabet Activity > Letter O is for Ocean
Present and display your option of letter O printable activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter O coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and select and print an ocean theme coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter O words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter O's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the ocean theme image. Write the word ocean on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6: Alphabet - beginning letter O (short sound) > Present the Letter O Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.These materials can be used as part of Letter O program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related O words.
You can also display letter O posters and coloring pages or make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: Letter O Printable Materials.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter O's: Have the children find all the letter O's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound): A four word search game features an ocean image and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw and color an ocean behind the page or print an ocean theme coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: engage children in making an original drawing of an ocean scene and practice writing letter O in upper and lower case independently.