Holidays & Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year - Feb 1st > Serpent Day - Jun > Zoo and Aquarium Month - Oct 21st > Reptile Awareness Day - Dec 27th > Visit the Zoo Day
Letter S Snake
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter S is for Snake and snake theme.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter S coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and select and print a snake coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter S words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter S's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter S's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the ocean theme image. Write the word snake on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6 > Alphabet - beginning letter S
Select and print the handwriting worksheet and present the Letter S Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used to reinforce letter recognition, initial handwriting practice and to identify related S words.
Discuss other letter S words and images found in the worksheet. You can also display letter S posters and coloring pages or make a letter S classroom book. For related images visit:Letter S Printable Activities.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter S's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter S's: Have the children find all the letter S's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Coloring and visual arts activity: Visit this activity to learn about lines in art and decorate the letter S coloring page.
Letter S Word Search & Handwriting Practice > The word search game features a snake and letter S words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a snake behind the page or print asnake coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a snake and write letter S s. Share some images of a real snakes to inspire the children.