Alphabet > Letter T > T is for Tortoise or Turtle
Tortoise and Turtle
Holidays and Events >
*June > Zoo and Aquarium Month
*Oct. 21st > Reptile Awareness Day
*Dec. 27th > Visit the Zoo Day
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter T. The presentation ideally should be part of turtle and tortoise activities and crafts.
Alphabet Activities: Letter T is for Tortoise or Turtle
Present and display your option of alphabet letter T Tortoise | Turtle printable materials listed in the materials column:
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace the letter T's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page or extended tracer. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil. Demonstrate the direction and numbers on the arrows that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter T's: Have the children find all the letter T's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter T's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
* Coloring Activity: Encourage the children to color the tortoise/turtle image with a variety of materials.
Letter T words: Letter T Activity Page and Mini Book This page and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter T program of activities to reinforce letter T practice and to identify related T words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Discuss other letter T words and images (refer to letter activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with example. You can print letter T's in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display T posters and coloring pages or even make a letter T classroom book. For related images visit: Letter T Alphabet Printable Materials and make your choice.
Letter T Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The six word search game features a turtle and letter T words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a turtle or tortoise behind the page or print a turtle or tortoise coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a turtle or tortoise and write letter T t.
Make sure to include this activity as part of a theme, story time activity, and discuss animal facts which are available in the tortoise/turtle section.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/t/tortoise_turtle.htm