> Letter C >
Consonant digraph Ch > Chimpanzee
Endangered Animals > Rainforest
| Jungle > Apes > Chimpanzee
Books > Online
Story time > Animals
Watch me Grow: Apes
online free Ages 4-7
Help fight illiteracy!
Crafts > Chimpanzee
Geography > Continents > Africa
Colors | Numbers skills addressed during craft assembly
Holidays & Events >
*June > Zoo and
*Dec. 27th >
Visit the Zoo Day
Age group: Older toddlers to early
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a
chimpanzee. During the assembly process many skills
and educational themes can be addressed. Other printable support materials and links to related
activities are provided. Let's get started.
The chimpanzee theme is appropriate for many themes listed in the themes
Before or after completing the craft conduct your choice of suggested
Activity: Science & Social Studies > Geography: Learning about
Apes and the Chimpanzee > Endangered Animals
Many apes and the chimpanzee are endangered.
Science and Social Studies objectives:
* Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life,
natural resources and their habitats.
* Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they
are not endangered or become extinct.
* Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in
danger of becoming extinct.
* Identifying an endangered animal: apes > the chimpanzee,
gorilla and orangutan.
* Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical
area: country or region. Learn a few basic facts about this
Review the external resources and suggested online resources below to prepare and expand on the objectives:
Where to start?
Ask children what they know about chimpanzees, or if they have seen
pictures or read stories that have a chimpanzee character. Ask
children if they have heard about endangered animals or extinct
animals, and what these terms mean to them. Keep notes
of their responses.
Basic facts about apes and the chimpanzee:
* An ape is a mammal in the group of primates, which includes chimpanzees, gibbons,
gorillas, and orangutans.
* Apes do not have tails.
* They have very flexible hands and feet
* Apes range in size from three to six feet and can weigh up to 450
* Apes live in the forests in Africa and Asia (two continents) >
show in a globe or map.
* The chimpanzee is an ape that lives in African rain forests.
They are related to, but smaller than gorillas. Chimpanzees are
very intelligent and sometimes use tools to get food.
Chimpanzees living in the wild are endangered.
* We need to take care of apes, because many are critically endangered
(review and define) and could become extinct (review and
define). People around the world are dedicated to
protecting apes and their habitats and unique forests.
* Apes online facts, video, audio for the chimpanzee,
gorilla and orangutan
at National Geographic's Creature Feature. These three apes
Activity: B Watch
me Grow: Apes
Read this book online FREE at wegivebooks.org, and you will put books
in the hands of children who don't have them.
Description: We start life as baby apes, but how do we turn into
the gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, and gibbons that live in the
jungle? Turn the pages and watch us grow!
Activity: Consonant Digraph Ch
Chimpanzee Printable Activities
Activity: Online Jigsaw
Puzzle - Chimpanzee
Objective: Problem solving skills
Have fun with an online puzzle of a chimpanzee that can be
adapted from 6 pieces to 247. The whole family can have a try.
Click on the Change Cut button to adjust
number and shape of pieces.
tube craft (external link)
you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick,
scissors and something to color with.
craft assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested
for the craft which may include:
1. Math | Colors: Identifying colors, number and count the craft templates.
Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and
coloring (precursors to handwriting), problem solving, fine motor
paper craft sculpture (scroll down - external link) complex
paper craft for adults and older children, great project for
learning and display.
Activity: Apes Coloring Pages for Puppets and Display
These coloring pages can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make
View realistic coloring images of the apes in the links provided below. Color,
cut out and attach a craft stick to the back.
Digraph Ch Chimpanzee printable activities
Atlas, map or world globe to identify geographical location of apes