Leopard Theme Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Endangered Animals | Rainforest & Jungle
Alphabet > Crafts > Letter L > Leopard |
Animals > Mammals > Endangered > Rainforest
| Jungle |
Big Cats > Lion | Tiger |
Holidays & Events > Jun > Zoo and
Aquarium Month | Dec 27th >
Visit the Zoo Day
Young children will have fun learning about the leopard. Other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
Activity 1: Animals > Mammals > Big Cats > Rainforest > Endangered > Leopard
Science and social studies objectives:
* Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life, habitats, natural resources, such as water and air.
* Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they are not endangered or become extinct.
* Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
* Identifying an endangered animal: the leopard is endangered in Asia and Africa.
* Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical area, country or region. Learn a few basic facts about this animal.
Review the activities and online resources suggested below to prepare and expand on the objectives.
Where to start?
Ask children what they know about leopards, or if they have seen pictures or read stories that have a leopard character. Ask children if they have heard about endangered animals or extinct animals, and what these terms mean to them. Keep notes of their responses.
Basic facts about the leopard:
The leopard is large mammal with short yellow or gray fur and black spots (rosettes). Leopards with very dark fur are called black leopards or black panthers. Leopards live in Southern Asia, the Middle East and Africa. The leopard is endangered in Africa and Asia. Leopards are carnivores and are closely related to lions, tigers and jaguars.
We need to take care of leopards, because many species are endangered and could become extinct.
People around the world are dedicated to protecting endangered animals and their unique habitats.
Activity 2: Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Leopard
Skills: Problem solving, using the computer mouse.
Here is an online puzzle the children will enjoy with a fun leopard image. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Activity 3: Alphabet Letter L Leopard lesson plan printable activities
Activity 4: DLTK's Printable Leopard L. Alphabet Buddy Craft
All you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick, scissors and something to color with.
Before craft assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested for the craft which may include:
1. Math | Colors: Identify colors, shapes. Count and number the craft templates.
2. Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring (precursors to handwriting), problem solving, and fine motor skills.
Activity 5: Leopard Coloring Page for Puppet and Display
This coloring page can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make a hand puppet.
Color, cut out and attach a craft stick to the back. Use the coloring page for educational display during discussion about the leopard.