> Letter E >
Animals > Birds
Crafts > Homemade
Paper Bag Puppets
Jan 5th > National
May 4th > Bird Day
Multicultural > United
This is one of a collection of
bag puppets. Most of the puppets are assembled with 2 or 3 piece templates for children 2+
This eagle is a bit more advanced for children
ages 5+ with 10 pieces plus optional Uncle Sam hat assembled
with 6 pieces. The craft can be adapted for younger children by pre-assembling
parts of the craft ahead of time or dividing the activity in two
Teaching Aid - Color Version >
The color version, available black and white, is meant for the educator (parent, preschool
teacher, child care provider or baby-sitter) to use as a teaching
helper. Laminate for durability.
Ideas and suggestions:
Crafting Activity and Homemade Toy:
- Story time helper: The puppet can be your assistant storyteller and reader. It can
bring excitement and enthusiasm into the reading time.
This puppet "helper" can be one of the characters, an ask questions to the children during and
after the reading. Later the children can have fun assembling
their own puppet using the black and white version templates.
- Alphabet: Letter
E Eagle lesson plan printable activities
Introduce or reinforce letter recognition and early handwriting
skills. You can print the upper and lower case letter on the
body of the puppet.
- Introduce related and new themes: Review topics for this puppet in the themes column on the
left. Review the bald
eagle lesson plan.
- Nutrition and health | Character
Education | Safety
The puppet can be a great aid in those special times when parents need
a fun helper,
and give that little nudge and friendly reminder to have the
children cooperate with chores, learn how to
dress themselves, potty training, alleviate the anxiety related to the
doctor or dentist visits, or to help introduce a new caregiver, meal
times, and safety issues, etc.
- Music and Physical Activity
'Conductor'> Singing, Dancing, Marching, Finger plays >
These puppets are great to get the children in the mood for music and
The black and white version allows the children to be creative and personalize
the puppet. Provide a
variety of art materials to color, paint and/or decorate the puppet
with additional materials like craft feathers.
Printing and assembly instructions:
- Ahead of time, cut a piece of black or dark brown construction paper to
cover the front of the paper bag, glue and fit under the flap.
- The wing templates can be traced to black or dark
brown construction paper or colored in.
- Print templates of your choice with or without Uncle Sam hat. Help to cut out if needed and group templates > hat
templates, head templates and body templates separately.
- Optional > Distribute Uncle Sam hat templates. Make a
demonstration of how the hat is assembled and make sure to discuss and
identify the recognizable shapes:
stars, rectangles, etc. Discuss the national colors of the
United States (red, blue and white as depicted in the hat).
Idea: The hat can be pre-assembled to make the craft a bit easier for
large groups or younger children.
- Distribute head pieces (head, eyes and beak). Have the
children glue the assembled Uncle Sam hat over the head first.
- Glue the face features > eyes and beak (optional: substitute
eye paper templates with plastic wiggly eyes).
- Glue the finished head (with or without hat) over the edge of
the front flap of bag.
- Glue the wings, tail and feet.
- Here is a generic illustration
of how to place pieces on the bag.
|Bald Eagle Paper Bag Puppet
optional Uncle Sam Hat
10 pieces +
Hat 6 pieces
1 & 2
or 2a with Uncle
Black & White
1 & 2
or 2a with Uncle
Letter E Eagle printable activities
*paper or construction paper or card stock
*something to color or paint with
*lunch size paper bag or Popsicle stick/craft stick/new pencil