| This is one of a collection of easy-to-
bag puppets for children ages 2+
and older. It can quickly become one of your favorite "teaching and learning helpers" and a great homemade toy! If you don't have paper bags, that's O.K., because it can also be a
craft stick puppet printed on card stock.
Teaching Aid - Color Version >
The color version, available in gray or brown, is meant for the educator (parent, preschool
teacher, child care provider or baby-sitter) to use as a teaching
helper. Laminate for durability. The black and white version can be printed color craft paper.
Ideas and suggestions:
- Story time helper: The puppet can be your assistant storyteller and reader. It can
bring excitement and enthusiasm into the reading time. This puppet "helper" can be one of the characters, an ask questions to the children during and
after the reading. Later the children can have fun assembling
their own puppet using the black and white version templates.
- Alphabet: Matching printable activities includes basic animal facts, links in the materials column. Introduce or reinforce letter recognition and early handwriting
skills. You can print the upper and lower case letter on the
body of the puppet.
- Introduce related and new themes: Review topics for this puppet in the themes column on the
- Nutrition and health | Safety | Character education
The puppet can be a great aid in those special times when parents need
a fun helper, and give that little nudge and friendly reminder to have the
children cooperate with chores, learn how to
dress themselves, potty training, alleviate the anxiety related to the
doctor or dentist visits, or to help introduce a new caregiver, meal
times, and safety issues, etc.
- Music and Physical Activity
'Conductor'> Singing, Dancing, Marching, Finger plays >
These puppets are great to get the children in the mood for music and
- Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Hippopotamus > Have fun with this 6-piece puzzle. Skills > problem solving. Adjust the number of pieces using the 'change cut' link on the left.
Craft Version and Homemade Toy > Coloring version black &
- The template can be colored and decorated before or after
assembly, whichever you or the children prefer. My experience
has been that many children like to color and decorate after the
pieces are glued to the bag.
- Assembly instructions: Here is an illustration of how to assemble the craft. Cut about 2 to 2/12 inches off the bottom of the bag or
adjust based on the body template. This makes the
puppet more comfortable and manageable for the children.
- Craft Stick Puppet
Print the templates using card stock or heavy duty construction
paper. Tape a craft stick (Popsicle stick |
tongue depressor), or an unsharpened pencil on the
back of the finished puppet.
Paper Bag Puppet
Head | Body
Black & White
Head | Body
Letter H Hippopotamus printable activities
* paper, card stock or
* glue stick
* something to color with
* lunch size paper bag
* craft stick or