Handprint Bat Craft | Halloween
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
This easy craft can be included within lesson
plan activities in the themes above related to the bat or Halloween. It is suitable for toddlers, preschool and early elementary grades.
Review craft printing options and suggested learning activities during the craft assembly.
Handprints suggestions >
- choice of paper: construction
paper, card stock, "foamies," recycle leftover materials or brown grocery bag.
- coloring tools for B&W template
- washable paints for painted handprints
- glue stick
small wiggly eyes
Craft assembly and learning activities
(after pieces are decorated and cut out)
- Trace one handprint on the lower
portion of the template, cut out, and use as a master
- Turn the handprint cut-out around to obtain left and
right handed prints (2 of each).
- Trace over black or tan/brown
paper using a gel pen, light colored
- The second method is to make painted handprints; two of each, left and right hand, cut out when dry.
Printing options >
- Option 1: Print your selection of black or
template for body. Discuss colors on the template.
Option 2: Print the black & white
template. Children can color, paint, or print directly to color
paper of your choice.
Option 3: For large groups 6 or more, print the black and white template directly onto
brown color paper.Trace and cut out matching handprints ahead
- Options 4: (Recycle)
Print the black and white format, cut
out and use as a master pattern, trace over left over recyclable
- Brown grocery bag paper is a good choice and it is
sturdy. The face features are easy to duplicate by hand and glue
paper eyes or plastic wiggly eyes.
- Trace over black construction
paper with a sharpened white or light color crayon, or gel pen, cut out and
- For a more permanent craft trace over "foamies"
and use permanent marker to make facial features.
At the top of the template is a suggested sequence of assembly.
- Assemble body and have children identify the recognizable
shapes: head (circle), body (oval)
- Assemble handprints as
illustrated in the template. Children will need assistance.
- Glue the body over the
assembled handprints so that the thumbs are the
Other decorating ideas >
- Tape the craft to a craft stick (Popsicle stick) to make a
- Add a looped ribbon or pieces of yarn or string in
various lengths to hang many of them as window ornaments.
- Create a nocturnal landscape with
stars and a moon using colored paper (refer to online puzzle
Template + 4 handprints
Template - Black & White
Letter B Bat printable activities