Panda Craft |
Paper Bag Puppet | Circle Shapes
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
> Letter P >
Animals > Mammals > Bears > Endangered > Giant Panda
Crafts > Homemade Toys > Paper Bag Puppets > Circles Panda
Holidays and Events >
* Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year
* June > Zoo and Aquarium Month
* Dec. 27th > Visit the Zoo Day
This giant panda theme is one of a collection of easy-to-
bag puppets for preschool and elementary school children.
These can quickly become one of your favorite
"teaching/ learning helpers" and also great homemade toys!
This puppet is suitable for the following themes: Chinese New Year celebration, Bears and Endangered Animals.
Teaching Aid - Color Version
The color version is meant for the educator (parent, preschool teacher, child care provider or baby-sitter) to use as a teaching helper:
1. Story time helper | Children's Literature:
The puppet can be the story teller and reader. It can bring excitement and enthusiasm into reading time. This "helper" can ask questions to the children during and after the reading. Later the children can have fun assembling their own puppet.
2. Introduce new themes and basic skills:
A. Language Arts:
Alphabet Letter P is for Panda Printable Activities
These activities includes an activity worksheet and companion mini-book, poster, coloring page and handwriting practice worksheets.
B. Numbers, Shapes and Colors:
The head craft templates provide an opportunity to address skills to identify colors, the circle shape, count the circle patterns and practice number order, and sort the circles by their size. Make sure to conduct these activities after cutting out the templates and before the assembly process.
C. Science / Social Studies: animal facts, habitat, geography: The Giant Panda activities
The giant panda is a national treasure to the country of China. The giant panda is a critically endangered animal, about one thousand are left in the wild. Visit the lesson plan activities to present basic facts about the panda and introduce children to the terms endangered species and extinct.
3. Potty Training / Dental Care / Nutrition/ Visits to the Doctor / Responsibility:
The puppet can be a great aid in those special times when parents need a fun helper in potty training, dental care, trying a new food, and give that little nudge and friendly reminder to have the children cooperate in picking up their toys, help in learning how to dress themselves, and even alleviate the anxiety to a visit to the doctor or dentist, or to help introduce a new caregiver, etc.
4. Musical Conductor
These puppets are great to get the children in the mood for singing that new song or nursery rhyme! Try it!
5. Safety Issues
The puppet can help introduce and role play safety issues: how to deal with strangers, fire safety, water safety, crime prevention, how to call 911 and what to do in an emergency, childhood poison prevention, etc. Visit the safety theme section for additional materials and resources.
Craft Version and Homemade Toy: Panda Paper Bag Puppet
1. Print the templates of your choice in color or black and white version.
2. The black and white version can be colored in or the templates can be traced and cut-out from black and white craft paper or construction paper. Suggestion: Replace paper eyes with plastic wiggly eyes for children 3+ and older.
3. Assemble the head craft first. Conduct the suggested learning activities discussed above in for Numbers, Shapes and Colors
3. Read and review the illustrated instructions for the craft.
Chinese New Year: Red bow and gold stars stickers on chest area (colors of the Chinese flag)