Holidays & Events > Jun 8th > World Oceans Day
The walrus is an interesting animal to introduce letter W and wildlife
in the Arctic region. The walrus printable craft is LARGE
emphasizing on the size of this magnificent animal!
The activities are appropriate for an arctic, polar animals or ocean creatures theme.
Walrus lesson plan > Review the lesson plan for walrus information on other related activities to include with this craft.
- choice of paper: construction paper, card stock, "foamies," recycle paper or brown grocery bag.
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Optional: large wiggly eyes instead of paper eyes
Review your options for printing and assembly of the craft that best meets your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print color templates, cut out, conduct learning activities, and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white templates. Color, paint or decorate first, cut out, conduct learning activities, assemble.
Option 3: Print black & white template directly on tan / brown card stock or construction paper. Recycling method: Trace the patterns with black or brown marker on brown/tan grocery paper bags paper to make several crafts.
Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose learning activities according to your curriculum needs and children's age.
Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the colors (shades of brown and
tan) on the
template pieces (after coloring) or if using the color template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out. Write large numbers in the back of the template pieces for a sequence of assembly and count them together.
Craft assembly. Show the small image provided in the template to help the children see how the finished craft looks and if necessary make a demonstration to aid them in positioning the pieces.
- Glue eyes as one piece on the head.
- Glue mouth/tusks on head.
- Glue small flipper behind body.
- Glue large flipper in front of body.
- Glue head.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
- For a permanent educational display piece: trace and cut pieces on fun foam (Foamies), add features with permanent fine tip markers and large wiggly eyes
- Replace paper eyes with large craft wiggly eyes for the paper craft.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back of head to use as decoration or educational display piece.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.