Review the pumpkin and jack jack-o'-lantern
theme to review all the lesson plans, printable activities and
resources available to explore all the learning possibilities.
These are easy craft activities related to the pumpkin, jack-o'-lantern and scarecrow. The pumpkin craft addresses shapes practice and two accessories can be added to make a scarecrow: a straw hat and kerchief or bandana..
The craft is appropriate for an autumn theme, farming, food, nutrition, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.
- white paper, paper stock or construction paper
- coloring tools if using B&W templates
- Optional: can replace pumpkin circle template with a small paper plate & paint orange
Activity 1 > Assemble and present the craft - Ages 2.5+
Review your options for printing and assembly of the craft that best meets your needs. Conduct some of the learning activities suggested
Option 1: Print color or B&W templates. Color if applicable, cut out, conduct learning activities and assemble.
- Print one set of black & white templates and use as master template.
- Trace the patterns directly on folded construction paper, left-over paper or, fun foam to obtain number of pieces needed.
- Idea: Replace pumpkin circle with a small paper plate (desert size) and
children can paint orange on the back of plate.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
- Use large wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet option: Glue the craft to a craft stick, toilet paper tube or small paper bag for an instant puppet.
- Mask option: Trace and cut out triangle openings for eyes, attach to a craft stick.
Learning activities to conduct before craft
Shapes & Colors Activity:
Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
template pieces (after coloring) or if using the color template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing the Shapes: Have the children
count, then sort the shapes -- all triangles, circles, rectangle, and
(omit the hat and bandana for this part of the activities)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are. Write numbers on the blank side to acquaint children with numbers.
- Proceed with craft assembly. Show the small image provided in the template to help the children during the assembly.
- Idea: Write letter J or P on the desired locations to paste pieces.
Important: If the children are assembling the scarecrow version is best to glue the hat first and then the face features.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Activity 2 > Numbers practice 1 to 10: Scarecrow with a pumpkin head dot-to-dot (1-10)
- Draw face features on the scarecrow's pumpkin head.
- Connect the dots with a pencil to allow for corrections as they say the numbers out loud.
- Encourage children to color and decorate the image.
Activity 3 > Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Scarecrow with pumpkin head
Have fun with this 6-piece puzzle adaptable to more pieces.
Children will practice problem solving and computer skills.
Related printable activities:
Scarecrow dot-to-dot 1-10