> Consonant Digraph Sh
is for Shamrock
Colors > Green
Crafts > Plants
Easy Shapes Friendship Shamrock Craft
Holidays > March
Multicultural > Ireland
fun reading a bit about St. Patrick, shamrocks, leprechauns and why green is such a special color for St.
Patrick's Day and for the Irish people.
* Shamrock: (three leaves) is
a clover, and the national emblem of Ireland.
* Lucky Four-Leaf Clover: when a rare four leaflet occurs in a
clover it is said to be lucky and the leaves represent hope,
faith, love and the fourth one, luck.
History of St. Patrick's Day at the History Channel web
site. Review the topics: Who is St. Patrick? and History of
Ages 2 to 6:
* Discuss the color green and what it means to the Irish
people. It is connected to hope and nature.
* Where is the color green in nature? Plants, trees and
animals, like a grasshopper.
* When talking about plants you can introduce the shamrock.
Craft Activity: Easy Shapes Friendship
Shamrocks (3 leaflet) or Lucky Four-Leaf Clover
Suggestion: Have two or more children or family members working
Have children share their decorated shapes so that each child has
a friend for his/her final clover/shamrock.
1. Use any circular, heart and triangle shape to trace over any available paper material -
recycle time! Here is a set of starter patterns.
2. Decorate: Paint, color, stamp, sponge, the shapes with a variety of materials.
3. Cut out the shapes and assemble to make 3 or 4 leaf clovers over another piece
of material to create a frame.
4. Idea: Substitute paper shapes with coffee filters or cup cake liners
and paint these with watercolors, or diluted tempera, or make designs
with markers first. Suggestion: Mix paint with a little white glue. When it
dries it has a sheen to it. When dry, transfer and glue on a dark
incorporate with this craft:
Activity - Consonant Digraph Sh Shamroack
consonant digraph Sh with various printables.
2. Online Puzzle:
Easy six piece puzzle. Click on Shape button to
change shape and amount of pieces.
and select other educational St.
Patrick's Day theme printable activities
* scissors, glue, and materials to color or paint with