C is for Cow
O is for Ox
Ox with letter X
Animals > Mammals
Colors > Blue
Crafts > Home-made
Holidays and Events > Cattle events
children 18 months to 6 years old.
This craft can be presented as a bull, cow or ox. Print your choice of Stage 1, 2,
3 or 4 puzzles on the materials column.
Activities to do prior to assembling the puzzle:
We recommend that you include one or a combination of the following
activities prior to using the puzzle:
After some of the activities above activities:
- Story time: Read a book or online story that has the
animal in the story or is the main character, such as this
Legend: Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox Babe.
- Animal Fun Facts: Discuss some simple facts about the animal found in the alphabet lesson plan for each animal.
- Animal Movement & Sounds: Mimic the movements or sounds that the animal might make.
- Animal Name: Give a name for the animal puzzle,
we recommend that
you suggest to give a special name that starts with the first
letter in the animals word. This will make the animal puzzle
more special to the child and reinforce the alphabet letter.
- Color Activity: Ask what colors are in the animals body.
Make sure to mention dark and light when describing the colors.
- Ask what is odd or strange about the animal: Can a
cow stand on two legs?
- Combine the puzzle with other related activities in the Bull, Cow
or Ox theme.
- Alphabet Activity: Write the first letter in
the word cow, bull or ox in lower case and upper case in the pieces in your
language of preference. Visit related alphabet printable activities > C
is for Cow, O ix for Ox
(short o sound), Ox ends with the letter X.
- Number Activity: Write the numbers in
the pieces (depending on the stage level) to practice number
recognition and counting.
- Nursery Rhyme / Music Activity: Include a
nursery rhyme or song activity that relates to the puzzle
image. Example: Little
Boy Blue Activity
Tips on how to store the
- Print, cut out and print letter or numbers on the pieces.
- Present the puzzle to the child and ask if he can
recognize the animal.
- Encourage child to put the puzzle together
and show briefly the small image on the upper left corner of the
template so the child has a glimpse of the finished puzzle.
- Once child has completed the puzzle, search for the hidden
letters or numbers in the puzzle if you have printed them.
- Encourage child to store puzzle, see recommendations for storage below.
- Suggestion: Do not glue the puzzle to paper so that
it can be used over again. Laminate
Glue or tape the
small image (in the left-upper corner of the template) to an
envelope. You can use those large left-over greeting card envelopes (from Christmas for example)
usually these are bigger or create custom made envelopes by
folding a piece of paper in half, close sides with tape.
Bull - Cow -
to 24 months approx
2+ to 3 years
3+ to 4 years approx
4+ to 6 years approx
Printing the templates
card stock is recommended.
Cut and save the small image in the left upper corner of
the template, refer to the instructions for using this image.
Laminate puzzles for durability