Numbers Theme | Sandy Beach | Counting | Preschool Activities Printable Activities
| Animals > Ocean | Seashore > Crab - Sand Dollar - Starfish |
Numbers | Holidays & Events > Jun 8 > World Oceans Day | Jun > Zoo and Aquarium
Seasons > Summer > Beach |
During these activities the children will observe a sandy beach scene and identify seashore creatures. Three of the seashore creatures featured have themed activities: the crab, the sand dollar and starfish. They will also identify other beach scene objects and count them.
Activity 1: Sandy Beach | Seashore Scene
Skills > Counting, identifying seashore objects and creatures, discuss the summer season
1. Visit the sandy beach link above and have the children observe and identify as many objects as they can and assist them with those they don't know.
2. Ask them how many sand dollars, starfishes, shells, beach umbrellas, beach ball, lighthouse, crab etc. Write down the numbers where the children can see them.
3. You may want to ask what do they think the crab is going to do to the boy in the picture (pinch his toes?)
4. Ask the children a few simple questions about the starfish and sand dollar. How many arms/legs does the starfish have? Where is the mouth of the sand dollar?, etc.
5. This a great opportunity to discuss characteristics of the summer season and things that we can do during the summer.
The summer is usually hot, sunny, people go to the beach, swimming pools, camping, etc. What kind of things we like to eat and wear, during the summer season.
Activity #1 Part 2: Sandy Beach Scene Coloring Page Activity:
A similar sandy beach scene, with less objects is available in coloring page format to print and conduct a similar activity offline.
The children can first count and identify the sand dollars, starfishes etc. then color the scene, and practice scissor cutting skills by cutting around the thick black frame and then glue unto another colorful piece of construction paper.
| Print or view this
Sandy Beach Scene
Sandy Beach Scene cooloring age activity
*something color with
*One piece of construction paper to frame the scene
*glue or glue stick