Alphabet > Letter D
Letter C > Crown
*May Day Pole Craft
Music > May Day Song
I Can Learn Left and Right with the May Day Song
Holidays & Events
> May Day
> Flower Month
We are going to celebrate May Day and
that Spring is here in all its splendor. Read to the children
how grown ups and children celebrated May Day long ago - visit
can also enjoy our May Day just as much and we don't have to carry
that heavy tree all the way from the woods. Instead lets make
an Easy Daisy Crown and and Easy May Day Pole and dance around it
singing a May Day song, select and practice letter D is for Daisy,
is for Crown, or Q is Queen and we will practice the concepts of left and
Activity #1: May Day Daisy Crown Craft
1. Print the happy daisy template twice in color
2. Fold a piece of construction paper or card stock in thirds
lengthwise and cut along the folds and you will obtain three equal
strips. Tape to form a long band. This will be the head
band for the crown Measure band around the child head and cut
3. The children can color or paint the daisies any colors they
like. They will need assistance with cutting the flowers.
4. Place the band flat and have the children glue the daisies
from the center until most of the band is covered.
5. Adjust the band around the children's head and make a
marking where it is comfortable, and then tape or staple. The
May Day crown is ready to wear and learn about letter D and later
wear for the May Day celebrations.
Activity #2: Alphabet Lesson Plans and Printable Materials
This is a good time to introduce or practice letter D
(daisy), C (crown) or Q (queen)
Activity #2: DLTK's
May Day Pole Craft
This activity can be done as a team activity. Every child
can contribute by coloring and/or gluing some of the materials to
1. Cover the tube roll with construction paper or some scraps
of nice wrapping paper
2. Print the flowers template in color or
black & white
and children will color as necessary.
3. Cut the flowers and children glue to the tube.
4.Attach a few crepe paper (streamers), ribbon strips or long strips
of construction paper to one side of the tube or
5. As Leanne from DLTK suggests:
"Attach the pole to something. Some ideas are:
* place it in an empty
margarine container with some play dough/clay in the bottom.
* take it outside and put it in
some dirt or the sandbox.
* tape it to a
flat piece of cardboard."
Either choose a King or
Queen for the celebration by placing all the names of the children
in a basket and pulling a name, or all the children can be Queens
and Kings of May Day. Also, you can cut up some tissue, toilet
paper or any paper scraps to simulate flower petals the children can
fling around the pole as they dance around the pole in the activity
Activity #3: Practice Right and Left with the May Day Song:
* The short May Day song give us the opportunity to practice
the concepts of left and right.
Around the Maypole Song
In and out, in and out,
the ribbons tight;
'Round the Maypole we will dance
To the left and to the right.
* At this point the children should have their crowns on and
the "pole" should be placed somewhere where the children
can move and dance around it.
*Have the children hold the letter D Daisy Puppet in their right hand, a piece of
paper, or cut a template of a daisy -- this is going to remind them
that hand is the right hand. Leave the left hand empty.
*The adult/s sings the song to any tune very slowly at first to give
time to the children to listen to words right and left. Ask
the children to stop and raise their right hand when the word right
is mentioned and then raise their left arm when the word left is
mentioned and continue walking or dancing around the
* This is going to create some confusion at first, but after a
while the children will get the hang of it.
* When the children feel comfortable with raising their hand
to left and right they will start joining in the
Happy May Day!
Related coloring pages:
and Medieval theme
Daisy crown Craft:
Daisy Flower Pattern
May Day Pole Craft Daisy Flower Pattern & materials:
Black & White
or paper towel roll.
* crepe paper strips/ribbons or cut long strips of construction
paper and tape together.
* scissors, *something to color with and paper or construction paper