Experiments | Science
Preschool Lesson Plan Activities Activities
What is a rainbow? A
rainbow is a curved arc of light of many colors across the
sky. Rainbows are caused by the sun's shining through drops of
water during or after a rain.
1. Fill a glass or clear jar with water to the top.
2. Set glass/jar on window sill in bright sunlight.
3. Glass or jar should stick out over the ledge just a little bit.
4. Place a white piece of paper on the floor in front of the window (tape 2 or 3 pieces to form a poster size and obtain a bigger rainbow image).
5. A rainbow will be captured/reflected
on the paper. This will greatly depend on how bright the
sunlight is and the positioning of the glass jar, so move the jar side
to side on the window sill to help the process until you see the
rainbow reflected on the paper.