Holidays & Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year (Rat) | Feb > Valentine's Day | Apr 4th > World Rat Day
The mouse is an animal that is a favorite among young children and also a popular pet. Visit the mouse and rodents theme for various related activities.
The craft can also be adapted to a gerbil or rat theme. The rat is one of the twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac, therefore, appropriate for Chinese New Year celebrations.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft or greeting card assembled with heart shapes (except the eyes) and during the process many skills can be addressed.
The animals heart shape crafts are appropriate for various holidays andd pets events. There is a full body version that is a bit more challenging for older children.
- paper or card stock (or print directly pink, brown, or grey paper for B&W template)
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help the children see how the finished
craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces. The greeting card option should be open and flat to assemble the craft.
- Paste inner ear hearts over larger ear hearts.
- Paste ears.
- Paste eyes and nose. Optional: Draw or add yarn whiskers.
- Greeting option: Fold the card and help write a greeting.
- Optional: Write letter M m and the word mouse behind the craft.
Head Template (only 1 template needed)
Greeting Card Template (2 templates needed)
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Replace the paper whiskers template with yarn or pipe cleaners, about 3" long.
- Trace and cut pieces on fun foam
- Use plastic wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to a small standard lunch paper bag or to a craft stick for an instant puppet. Decorate the paper bag with additional hearts, buttons, etc.
Complimentary alphabet printable activiies:
1) Adjust margins if you have trouble fitting the template on one page, review Print Help for suggestions.
3) Click on the image in the bottom half of the screen to make that frame active. Then use the print function on your browser to print the active frame.