Owl Craft | Practice Shapes | Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Let's have fun making an easy and fun craft assembled with
basic shapes and during the
crafting process many skills can be addressed.
Owl theme lesson plan activities:
- choice of paper: construction paper, or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Optional: large wiggly eyes
*Choose and print template accessories for holidays below.
Option 1: Print color template, cut out, conduct learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white template. Color, paint or decorate first, cut out, proceed with learrning activities.
Option 3: For large groups: Print black & white template on card stock and use as a master template. Trace the patterns on folded construction paper, left-over paper, or foam sheets to obtain pieces needed in each color.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template if using the color template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
shapes by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each type and size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers. in this activity you may want to also count the inner black eyes.
The template has a small illustration of the finished owl craft to help children have an idea of how it looks when assembled.
- Glue eyes in larger circles
- Glue large circle into the larger circle in designated area
- Glue small triangle beak in large triangle
- Glue large triangle inverted between eyes
- Glue oval feets
Other options, decorations and ideas:
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Make a greeting card for other occasions (St. Valentine's,
Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day:
Fold a piece on paper or card stock in half and attach on the front. Write greeting message inside.
- Add craft feathers (two on the sides of the triangle points to add a realistic touch.
- Eyes template can be substituted by large sized wiggly eyes
(size 25 mm),
and the rest of the pieces can be cut from foam sheets.
Accessories for holidays: