> Letter I >
Crafts > Easy Shapes Ice Cream Cone
Shapes > Triangle & Circle
Holidays and Events >
July > National Ice Cream Month
Nutrition > Dairy
Products group > Milk-based desert
Seasons > Summer
> Ice Cream
Let's have fun with ice cream!
Perfect for the summer and yes all year around! July is National
Ice Cream Month.
Make sure to have real ice cream for this activity!
Activity 1: Letter I Ice Cream Activities
Introduce letter Ii long vowel sound.
Activity 2: Craft - Easy Shapes Ice Cream Cone (or
visit Ice Cream Colors and Numbers Craft)
The children are going to also practice shapes with this easy craft -
ages 2+ and older.
- Print your choice of black and white template or color
template. Note: The circle (ice cream) in the color
template was left white so the children can still color the ice cream
in their favorite flavor color: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry,
- Distribute template of choice. Ask the children what shapes
they see on the template. Circles and one large triangle.
Explain the big circle represent the ice cream scoop, the triangle is
the cone, the small empty circle is a cherry and the other images are
candy, jellybeans, etc.
- Encourage the children to color the pieces that apply.
- The large pieces (circle and triangle) are suitable for
scissor cutting practice for the older children. Children may
need help cutting the cherry circle and the candy. The candy can
be cut around the dotted lines.
- Have the children glue the cone over the circle, they may need help
with this step. Glue the cherry and candy images.
Activity 3: Ice Cream Snack / Nutrition
Have fun eating ice cream. Prepare a table with ice cream, and
other trimmings. Allow as much as possible for the
children to scoop and decorate their ice cream cups.
Nutrition: Discuss Nutritional Aspects of Ice Cream
While the children are eating their ice cream, you may want to discuss:
- Ice cream is mostly composed of milk, which comes from the cow a
wonderful farm animal.
- Ask the children what other products are derived from the
milk: cheese, yogurt. What are these products
called as a food group? dairy products.
- Tell them milk is important to have
healthy bones and teeth and much more!