Alphabet > Crafts > Letter F or Letter X | Animals > Mammals > Endangered Animals > Forest > Fox | Polar Animals > Arctic Fox | Online story time > Fables - Fairy Tales > Various
Fox Theme Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Crafts
The fox theme is appropriate for many educational topics listed above. Activity 1: Science & Social Studies > Geography: Learning about Wolves > Endangered Animals
Many species of animals are endangered.
Science and Social Studies objectives:
* Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life, natural resources and their habitats.
* Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they are not endangered or become extinct.
* Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
* Identifying an endangered animal: Fox > In California > The Island fox (4 subspecies) and San Joachim fox.
In Canada > The Northern Swift Fox
* Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical area: country or region. Learn a few basic facts about this animal.
Where to start?
Ask children what they know about foxes, or if they have seen pictures or read stories that have an fox character. Ask children if they have heard about endangered animals or extinct animals, and what these terms mean to them. Keep notes of their responses.
Basic facts about the fox:
The fox is a wild mammal that has a pointed nose, pointed ears, and a bushy tail. Foxes are closely related to coyotes, dogs, and wolves. Foxes hunt insects, birds, and other small animals but will sometimes eat plants, especially fruit.
These species of foxes are
We need to take care of foxes, because some kinds are endangered (review and define) and could become extinct (review and define). People around the world are dedicated to protecting wolves and their habitats.
Online resource: Fox at Wikipedia.org
Activity 2: Alphabet Printable Activities
Select to present letter F is for Fox or letter X: Fox ends with X
Activity 3: Literacy > Online story time > Fairy Tales and Fables:
Story time activities featuring the fox as an important character:
1. Fairy tale: The Gingerbread Man
2. Aesop Fables: The Fox and the Goat | The Fox the Lion [includes coloring pages] | The Fox and the Grapes | The Old Lion and the Fox
Activity 4: Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Fox
Skill: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish
Here is an online puzzle the children will enjoy with a fun fox image. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Activity 5: Fox Coloring Pages for Puppets and Display
This coloring page can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make a puppet. Color, cut out and attach a craft stick to the back. View all fox coloring pages in the materials column.
Activity 6:Fox printable crafts
1. DLTK's Paper Fox Craft
Very easy and two sizes
2. DLTK's Fox Craft Ages 3+ (assembled with toilet paper tube)
Before craft assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested for the craft which may include:
1. Math | Colors: Identifying colors, number and count the craft templates.
Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring (precursors to handwriting), problem solving, fine motor skills.
All you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick, scissors and something to color with.