Holidays > United States Patriotic Holidays · Jan 5th > National Bird Day · May 4th > Bird Day · Multicultural > United States
Bald Eagle Craft · USA National
Symbol · Patriotic Preschool Printable Activity
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Optional: craft stick for a hand puppet
This is a very simple craft for young children to introduce a very special animal, the bald eagle, a United States national symbol and the national bird and prominently featured in the The Great Seal of the United States.
Understanding our national symbols is important to develop an important character trait -- citizenship.
The craft can help to enhance related skills and knowledge in the following areas: alphabet practice: E e is for Eagle, can be part of a bird theme unit, and incorporated into United States patriotic holiday presentations.
- Print the color template, conduct learning activities and assemble.
- Print black & white template, color first, consider a color-by-the-number or color-by-the-letter activity -- review below, cut out template pieces and assemble.
- Alphabet Letters or Numbers: Color-by-the-Number or Color-by the
Number or Letter Activities
Before distributing the template, write numbers or letters in the template pieces to represent the different colors. On a separate piece of paper or along the border of the template make a simple graph with the number or letter and color code with designated colors so the children can refer to it.
- Shapes & Colors: The Uncle Sam Hat - Make sure to identify, sort identifiable shapes - stars and rectangles. Identify colors on the craft during assembly.
Assembly: Assemble the hat first and glue over the head, then glue the eagle features.
- Glue stars to the rectangle fringe of the hat.
- Glue starred fringe to upper striped square.
- Glue glue top of the hat over the long rectangle. Hat is now ready.
- Glue assembled hat over the head of the eagle.
- Glue beak centered and in the middle of the face.
- Glue eyes on the sides of the bridge of the beak.
- Optional: Write letter Ee eagle on the back of the craft.
Other ideas for decorating, displaying or using the finished craft:
- Replace paper eyes with large wiggly eyes.
- Decoration or ornament: Attach ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back.
- Make a handprint wreath (red, blue, white cutouts or painted handprints) and attach the bald eagle for a finishing touch.
- Attach to a card board tube to make a stand up display.
- Dry-Erase Note Holder: Cut out and laminate a piece of white card stock the width of the Eagle and long enough (9-10 inches) - to make a dry-erase note holder. Glue the eagle to the upper border and glue a magnet on back.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to minimum or review Print Help.
Bald Eagle - Uncle Sam Craft: color B&W
- Bald eagle lesson plan: acquaint children with this bird and related activities.
- Alphabet: Introduce or review letter E eagle activities:
Animals > Birds > Eagle or USA Theme >