Holidays & Events > Jan. 5th > Nat'l Bird day - April > Arbor Day - May 4th > Bird Day - Oct. in Canada - Nov. in the U.S.A. > Thanksgiving · Plants > Trees · Seasons > Autumn
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
This is a very simple craft for young children to introduce or revisit
special and beloved North American bird, the turkey.
The turkey craft features a pinecone template for the body and head, and "feathers." Explain that only birds have feathers, unlike other classes of animals.
Trees > Evergreen > Conifers and their Pinecones
A pinecone (or pine cone) is like a strong little home or nest for seeds to develop for a group of plants called conifers. The conifers include the pine, cedars, spruce and other evergreen trees. Evergreen trees generally stay green all year round and don't loose their leaves. Some varieties of conifers are harvested specifically to decorate as Christmas trees. Visit related activities about trees and their importance.
Printing, assembly and decoration ideas:
The turkey craft can be assembled in various ways, the images show two possible alternatives. Allow children to explore and make their own unique turkey.
Important: Cut out eyes and feet templates as one piece.
Option 1: Print color or B&W template with feathers, color if applicable and assemble.
Option 2: Print color or B&W template with no feathers and review alternatives below.
- Letters or numbers practice > Color-by-the-Number or Color-by the
Before distributing the black & white template, write numbers or letters in the template pieces to represent colors making it a color-by-the-number or color-by-the letter activity. On a separate piece of paper (or on the template page) make a simple graph with the number or letters and the designated color so the children can refer to it.
Shapes and learning about birds > Make sure to identify shapes where applicable: stars (feet), main body & eyes (circles), beak (triangle). Note that the "feathered" tail of the body is a maple leaf likeness, only birds have feathers.
- Glue the feathers or alternative behind the pinecone in any chosen arrangement.
- Glue glue eyes or replace with plastic wiggly eyes.
- Glue the beak and wattle.
- Glue feet slightly under or over the body, whichever is easier for the child.
Other ideas for decorating the craft for template option 2 > Substitute the paper feathers with:
- Real dried autumn leaves of a type of tree that is native to your area. You may want to focus on your state's tree leaf for example.
- Trace a large leaf of your choice to autumn color paper or paint paper in autumn colors and then cut out.
- Handprints > Use three or four handprint cut-outs in autumn colors.
- Craft feathers or paper cut-outs that resemble feathers.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Alphabet: T is for Turkey printable activities: