| This is an easy paper-plate craft to help children
put collect and put away their "ocean treasures" - seashells and ocean creature they would find at the seashore.
Things to prepare and alternate ideas:
Have some ocean shells that children may have collected.
Many discount stores and "dollar" stores have bagged shells
that can also be helpful. Shell pasta is also a fun choice and a
few can be glued around the holder. I've included a template
with images of seashells to color or decorate to put into the holders with
additional suggestions. Have fun!
Activity > Letter O is for Ocean printable activities
For this activity have world map or globe to demonstrate and
identify the oceans. Print alphabet materials for letter O, the outer edge of the paper plate is shaped like letter O.
What is the ocean?
Activity > My Ocean Treasures Paper Plate Holder Craft
- The vast body of salt water covering about three quarters of
the earth's surface.
- Any of the major divisions of this body of water. The five oceans are: The Atlantic, Pacific, Indian,
Arctic and Southern
Ahead of time: One paper plate and 1/2 of another. The paper plate does not have to be painted, it is optional.
Activity Part 1: Making the Ocean Treasure Holder
Read a story about ocean creatures, seashore or beach related theme. Here are some favorites.
- Print the the Ocean
Treasure holder activity. The page can be printed onto a light/pastel
colored craft or construction paper that can be colored in.
- Read the title. Ask and help the children to identify some the
images in the page.
- Encourage the children to color and/or paint the images.
- Cut out the two half circle images. This is good scissor practice for older children.
- Proceed to assembly > view these step-by-step instructions.
Part 2: Ocean Treasures - Activity Page 2
- Print and distribute the ocean treasures images in color or
black & white.
- Color and decorate the
images in the template. Add a little shimmer to the shells with a bit of diluted glue and
glitter if time allows.
- Number practice: Count the items the 'sea creatures', you can write the numbers in the back of the images for practice.
Science Review > Ocean Creatures >
This is a good time to review some information about the ocean
creatures found on the print out.
The starfish has spiny skin and five arms-count them together.
Sea snails as well use their shells as their home.
The sand dollar is almost like a circle, it has hundreds of tiny feet,
a mouth on the center and it has a design that looks like a flower,
sort of like a lily. There is more information in previous
activities for these in the ocean
- Hide the Ocean Treasures (the sea creatures) indoors or outdoors and the
children can take their finished 'holder' and pretend they are collecting the shells at the seashore.
- Punch to holes in the top of the holder, and add string or ribbon to display.
- Online stories > The Lonely Starfish |
What a Friend [A Sea Snail and a Crab]
- Picture Books > House of Hermit Crab by Eric Carle | Just Grandma and Me by Mercer Mayer
- Related Bible story: Genesis
1:20-21 The Creation - The Fifth Day - God Creates the Ocean Creatures
paper plate holder activity
for holder (shells, etc.)
*black & white
Letter O Ocean printable cctivities
*1 1/2 paper plates
*something to color or paint with
*paper or construction paper
*optional: string, yarn or ribbon
*glue or glue stick
Optional: real shells or shell pasta