Leprechaun Craft · St. Patrick's
Day · Shapes Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activity
The craft for this activity is a simple leprechaun's head composed mostly
of basic shapes. The
craft also features the national colors of the Irish flag (green,
orange and a bit of white), and the shamrock, the national emblem of
Ireland. Review learning activities below before
These activities can help us celebrate St. Patrick's Day celebrated March 17th, and Irish American Heritage Month. In the process, we can address some fundamental skills, like learning some colors, shapes, learn about the holiday and more!
- white paper
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Option 1: Print color template, cut out, conduct learning activities of your choice below first
- Option 2: Print black and white templates. Children can color and decorate, cut out and proceed with learning activities below before assembly.
Learning Activity 1 > Shapes &
Identify the shapes for all template pieces. Discuss the colors on the template or the colors chosen by the children to color the pieces.
Learning Activity 2 > Numbers/Pre-Math >
To conduct these activities template pieces should be colored and cut
a. Sorting and sizing: Have the children sort the template shapes by type and size. Have the children arrange the sorted shapes from smallest to largest.
b. Counting: Count how many of each shape are of each size. You may want to write the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
Note: Make sure to save the small image of the craft in the template to include in the alphabet letter L mini-book activity and as a visual aid during craft assembly. Make a demonstration of the sequence and allow the children to assemble by memory, provide assistance when needed.
- Assemble the hat: Glue hat oval behind the rectangular piece and discuss the shamrock is the national emblem of Ireland and what it means. (represented by three hearts and a triangle arrangement)
- Glue the ears (crescent shapes) behind the medium oval in the horizontal position.
- Glue medium oval in horizontal position over large oval matching the (*).
- Glue the hat until the sides meet the edges of the ears.
- Glue eyes close to the edge of the hat.
- Glue nose where beard and face meet.
- Replace paper eyes with large plastic wiggly eyes.
- Tape to a craft stick (Popsicle stick) to make a hand puppet.
- For older children: Print black & white version templates, cut out, and trace templates over fun foam sheets or other left over materials. Draw in a smile with permanent marker (adult) or glue a dark color pipe cleaner or thick yarn.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Leprechaun shapes craft color or B&W
Resources Social Studies > Multicultural > World Holidays:
Basic information at Wikipedia about the elements in this craft:
- Leprechaun: Irish fairy - old Irish for "small body." Their trade is that of a cobbler, a shoemaker.
- St. Patrick's Day
- A tour of Ireland: Ireland's flag, map, places of interest
Complimentary printable activities:
Holidays -- St. Patrick's Day >