The sheep and its young, the lamb is a favorite farm
animal. It is also an opportunity to discuss the shepherd who takes care of the sheep.
Young children will have fun making easy and fun crafts of a lamb or sheep almost entirely made with heart shapes (except the eyes), the ears is a heart cut in halves.
The heart shapes animal crafts are appropriate for various holidays.
- paper or card stock (or print directly to color paper for B&W template)
- coloring tools for black & white templates
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there
are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint
the children with printed numbers.
- Early Fractions: The ears are made by cutting a heart template in half. Explain the concept that one is a whole. When the heart is cut in two equal pieces - each part is a half.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Shapes & Colors: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help the children position the pieces.
- Paste ears (the heart cut in halves) on the slanted markings on the head.
- Paste the four hearts with swirls to crown the head.
- Paste eyes and nose.
- Optional: write letter Ll lamb or Sh sheep behind the craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Lamb-Sheep Hearts Craft gray-black B&W
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- The lamb's fur is used to produce the yarn for wool. Cut small pieces of knitting yarn and glue to the swirls on the head.
- Use plastic wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to a small standard lunch paper bag or to a craft stick for an instant puppet.