- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
The giant panda is truly a unique bear that is recognized and loved the world over. The giant panda is revered in its homeland, the country of China.
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft (two versions) assembled with circle shapes. The head only craft has large pieces and is suitable for older toddlers to under age 5 and large groups. Note: pre-paste small eyes for toddlers. The large craft version has chest and arms template that can be pre-pasted over the body.
Recommendation: Review printing and assembly options. Complete the head craft first and the learning activities suggested below. Assemble the body after a break or on a separate day with a related activity.
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print template of your choice, color and decorate if that applies, conduct learning activities below, cut out and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white template to your choice of color craft paper, and color in sections desired, such as eye ball, inner ears, nose, feet features. Conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Discuss the colors on the template.
- Numbers and pre-math activities: To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Have the children sort the shapes by size, from small to large.
- Count how many shapes in each size. You may want to write the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
Body: At your discretion skip the sorting, counting activity for the body portion.
Show the small image of the finished craft featured in the template to help the children assemble the craft. Assemble head first.
- Glue ears in front or behind the head, whichever is easier for the children.
- Glue black circle, then inner eyes or plastic wiggly eyes.
- Glue nose aligned to the mouth feature. Head is now complete for craft #1 & #2
- Glue upper black chest piece over body circle.
- Glue arms only at the shoulder, so arms can move.
- Paste feet.
- Past assembled head at the shoulder level.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Pp in the body or behind the craft.
- Trace and cut pieces from any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes or glue a pom pom for the nose.
- Tape the craft to a craft stick or drinking straw for a hand puppet.
- Paste craft to lunch paper bag for a quick puppet.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero minimum or review Print Help.
Panda Circles large craft:
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about the panda bear lesson plan and resouces.
- Alphabet > Introduce or review: