- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a turtle or tortoise assembled with shapes (circle, triangles, ovals). Many basic skills can be addressed during and after the craft assembly process.
- Print templates of your choice. Review replacement choices next to the template links below.
- Learning Activities:
Shapes & Colors: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template pieces.
Numbers / Early-Math Activities:
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have children sort the shapes by type in piles, and then organize the piles by size from smallest to largest.
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are and how many in total to assemble the craft. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Craft assembly:
Review the following assembly steps with the children and they can refer to the small image on the template.
- Paste oval head, without covering the eyes, under the blank side of large body circle.
- Paste triangle tail under the blank side of large body circle, opposite to the position of the head.
- Paste small circle in the middle of the circle body.
- Paste triangles in circle body in any arrangement.
- Turn the assembled body craft, and remaining leg ovals face-down.
- Position the legs where desired and make a small marking with pencil or crayon.
- Place glue on the markings and paste legs over the markings.
- Other ideas for the craft:
- Add plastic wiggly eyes over printed eyes.
- Glue other items to decorate shell, such as buttons (those tortoise colored ones are great).
- Instead of triangle shapes, use a variety of shapes to decorate the turtle's body.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about Turtles and Tortoises
- Alphabet > Introduce or review Letter T turtle and tortoise printable activities: