Holidays & Events > Oct 15th - Global Handwashing Day
Alphabet Letter S Soap Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
- coloring & writing supplies
- sheet protectors for handwriting worksheets for repeated use
Health · Hygiene > Bathing & Handwashing > Soap
Soap is a noun and a verb:
- noun - a substance used with water for washing and cleaning, made of a compound of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali, and typically coloring or fragrance added.
- verb - to wash with soap
Soap is essential in personal hygiene, in both bathing and handwashing, to prevent illness that can be transmitted by germs. Different formulations of soap are used for laundry and other cleaning purposes. Soap and water go together, therefore, it may be a good idea to discuss and present as a team.
It is important to address proper bathing and handwashing steps to young children, and review the concepts before attending school or back to school time. Review the resources listed at the bottom of this page.
Alphabet Activities > Letter S is for Soap
Present the color poster and select the activities of your choice. Discuss the visual elements in the poster: soap, towel and soap dish.Children age 3 and under:
Trace letter S's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
Children can trace and color the letter S's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the image. Write the word soap on the finished coloring page.
Handwriting worksheet tips:
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly.
During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Have the children find all the letter S's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them.
Children ages 3+:
Letter S words: Letter S Worksheet Program and Mini-Book (long a sound) can be used as part of program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
You can also display letter posters and coloring pages or make a letter S home or classroom book. For related images visit: Letter S Printable Activities.
Letter S Word Search & Handwriting Practice: The word search game features letter S words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw snow, snowflakes and/or snowman behind the page or print a soap theme coloring page (view below).
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw, color and decorate snow flakes and/or snowman and write letter S s.Bath essentials: soap & rubber ducky Handwashing (various) Slippery Soap paper craft @ dltk-kids.com Resources:
Letter S coloring page
Letter S Worksheet & Mini Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word search & writing
Drawing · Writing Paper
Letter S · Nutrition & Health · Water >