Chimpanzee Theme Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Crafts
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a chimpanzee. During the assembly process many skills and educational themes can be addressed. Other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
Activity > Learning about Chimpanzees > Endangered
1. Science and social studies objectives:
- Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive.
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
- Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life, natural resources and habitats.
- Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they are not endangered or become extinct.
- Identifying an endangered animal: the apes.
- Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical area, country or region. Learn a few facts about this animal.
- Ask the children if they have ever seen a real chimpanzee and discuss comments.
- What do they know about chimpanzees..
- Do they have a favorite story, TV or movie ape character.
2. Discuss some simple facts about apes and the chimpanzee:
- An ape is a mammal in the group of primates, which includes chimpanzees, gibbons, gorillas, and orangutans.
- Apes do not have tails.
- They have very flexible hands and feet.
- Apes live in the forests in Africa and Asia (two continents)
- The chimpanzee is an ape that lives in African rain forests. They are related to, but smaller than gorillas.
- Chimpanzees are very intelligent and sometimes use tools to get food.
- Chimpanzees living in the wild are endangered.
- We need to take care of apes, because many are critically endangered (review and define) and could become extinct (review and define).
- People around the world are dedicated to protecting apes and their habitats and unique forests.
- Online resource > National Geographic Kids > Endangered Apes: mountain
gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan, and white-handed gibbon.
Consonant Digraph Ch Chimpanzee printable activities Chimpanzee and baby
Children will enjoy this fun image. Skills: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Chimpanzee and apes coloring pages for puppets and display
These coloring pages can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make puppets. Color, cut out and attach a craft stick to the back.
Ape: Chimpanzee Craft @ dltk-teach.com
All you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick, scissors and something to color with.
Before craft assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested for the craft which may include: identify colors, number and count the craft templates.Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring are precursors to handwriting, problem solving, fine motor skills.