Now let's have some fun with an easy snake craft and the letter Ss.
This is a very easy cut and paste craft for young children or it can be made more challenging for older children.
The snake is composed with ovals to form a letter S, and the ovals also showcase letter S.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Print the positioning template and your choice of snake ovals template with or without letter S or plain. The positioning template can be printed directly on brown or tan color paper, and the ovals to green paper, then color in the letter S in a bright color.
- Skills > Color recognition,
counting and oval shape:
Identify the oval shapes in the template. Most snakes hatch from soft shelled eggs. Count the ovals needed to complete the craft. Adult can print numbers to the positioning template and numbers to the oval pieces to match, in number order. Identify that the ovals are green.
- Color the template if applicable. Cut out the ovals and head.
- Skill > Letter S recognition > Point out to the children that the letter S is in each oval. Letter S is the beginning sound for the word snake or serpent.
- Skill > Hand and eye coordination > Paste the ovals to positioning template with glue stick. Point out that the
finished snake forms a letter S.
Free Style Method:
- Print the ovals template of your choice. Paint, color and decorate.
- Provide a piece of brown or tan construction paper.
- Children will paste the ovals to create their own unique snake picture.
- Provide green construction paper to cut out foliage or paste collected dry leaves.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
- Learn about Snakes > Fun video story, basic facts, observe and hear snakes.
Letter S Snake lesson plan printable activities
Visit this lesson plan to present letter S for different age levels.