This craft is to introduce the
farmer or the shepherd, and discuss the responsibilities of these jobs as community helper.
The craft features a young farmer or shepherd in blue overalls
asleep in the hay to tie in with the nursery rhyme Little
The craft provides shapes practice and focusing on the colors blue and brown..
Craft Instructions and Learning Activities:
- Print the templates of your choice in color or black and white.
- Cut through the dividing line to separate the positioning outline.
- Color (if applicable) and cut out the pieces for Little Boy Blue and the hay mat.
- Learning Colors and Shapes:
- Ask and help children to identify the shapes: circle (face), oval (hay mat), squares (body) and rectangle (legs and arms).
- Talk about the different shades of blue, and brown in the hay mat
- Encourage children to glue the template pieces to the body outline template.
- Adult cuts around the assembled Little Boy blue, and children glue it to the hay mat.
- Additional decoration: have the children glue some real hay, cut-up raffia, or construction paper in a coordinating color to the hay mat, and then glue Little Boy Blue on top.
- Optional: There is a small marking on the hay mat to use a hole punch to insert a piece of yarn, string or raffia to hang as a decoration.
- To reinforce, read and sing the nursery rhyme at least once a day during the week using the rhyme poster and finished craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.