Holidays & Events > Cattle events
Cow Printable Puzzles | Bull | Ox | Homemade Toy Preschool Lesson Plan Activities
For children 18 months to 6 years old. This craft can be presented as a bull, cow or ox. Print your choice of Stage 1, 2, 3 or 4 puzzles on the materials column.
- paper or card stock
- pen or fine tip marker
- Used envelope for storing the puzzle
- Optional: laminate
Bull - Cow - Ox
18 to 24 months approx
2+ to 3 years
3+ to 4 years approx
4+ to 6 years approx
Activities to do prior to assembling the puzzle:
We recommend that you include one or a combination of the following activities prior to using the puzzle:
- Story time: Read a book or online story that has the animal in the story or is the main character, such as this activities: American Legend: Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox Babe.
- Animal Fun Facts: Discuss some simple facts about the animal found in the alphabet lesson plan for each animal.
- Animal Movement & Sounds: Mimic the movements or sounds that the animal might make.
- Animal Name: Give a name for the animal puzzle, we recommend that you suggest to give a special name that starts with the first letter in the animals word. This will make the animal puzzle more special to the child and reinforce the alphabet letter.
- Color Activity: Ask what colors are in the animals body. Make sure to mention dark and light when describing the colors.
- Ask what is odd or strange about the animal: Can a cow stand on two legs?
- Combine the puzzle with other related activities in the Bull, Cow or Ox theme.
- Alphabet Activity: Write the first letter in the word cow, bull or ox in lower case and upper case in the pieces in your language of preference. Visit related alphabet printable activities > C is for Cow, O ix for Ox (short o sound), Ox ends with the letter X.
- Number Activity: Write the numbers in the pieces (depending on the stage level) to practice number recognition and counting.
- Nursery Rhyme / Music Activity: Include a nursery rhyme or song activity that relates to the puzzle image. Example: Little Boy Blue Activity
- Print, cut out and print letter or numbers on the pieces.
- Present the puzzle to the child and ask if he can recognize the animal.
- Encourage child to put the puzzle together and show briefly the small image on the upper left corner of the template so the child has a glimpse of the finished puzzle.
- Once child has completed the puzzle, search for the hidden letters or numbers in the puzzle if you have printed them.
- Encourage child to store puzzle, see recommendations for storage below.
- Suggestion: Do not glue the puzzle to paper so that it can be used over again. Laminate for durability.
Glue or tape the small image (in the left-upper corner of the template) to an envelope. You can use those large left-over greeting card envelopes (from Christmas for example) usually these are bigger or create custom made envelopes by folding a piece of paper in half, close sides with tape.