story is recommended for ages 5+ and older.
Materials: paper, staper, coloring tools. Obtain a book or view video of Pinocchio.
Print: Pinocchio Story Coloring Book Cover plus 12 pages - numbered
Activity 1: View Video or Read a Book Version
While viewing and after viewing you may want discuss the movie and/or book and here are some ideas for dialogue, use your judgment on how to present these topics based on the child's age. Children will surely be asking many questions, and it is best to be prepared.
- Jiminy Cricket represents the conscience (what is right?, what is wrong?)
- Pinocchio is the young wood puppet who yearns to be a real boy, and gets in quite a bit of trouble by not being obedient, fibbing, talking to strangers, picking the wrong company, and not listening to Jiminy Cricket, his conscience.
- The Blue Fairy brings Pinocchio to life and says to him: "be brave, truthful and unselfish and you will become a real boy someday." Discussing what is brave, truthful and unselfish is easier by using examples in the movie, you may want to rewind the movie to show the meaning of these words.
- Geppetto is the loving father that loves Pinocchio even when he gets in trouble. Unconditional love.
Activity 2: Making a Pinocchio Coloring Storybook
Print the twelve (12) coloring book pages that sequence and highlight Pinochio's tale. The pages have no text and have been numbered chronologically.
- Discuss what the children see in each image and what they remember. Ask them to describe what they see as if they were telling the story and you will write the story for them. Write as much as you can in their own words at the bottom of the page. This does not have to be done all at once may, it can be staggered in three or four a day period.
- Assemble the book:
Us one blank page in color craft paper or construction paper to create a cover, print an additional page with you child´s favorite Pinocchio image and use it for the cover. Glue each page coloring pages gluing in order in front and back of construction paper to resemble a book and staple. Practice the numbers while putting and gluing the pages together.
- Binding: Cut a strip of construction paper lengthwise about 1 1/2 "
fold and glue it on for binding and covering the
Your homemade Pinocchio coloring storybook is ready to read with the children's version in their own words and to color!