- paper or card stock
- coloring tools
- optional: wooden craft stick or Popsicle stick for mast
activities will help children learn letter B, beginning writing skills (tracing), scissor cutting skills, problem solving
(assembly of the craft).
The upper portion of the activity worksheet is a foldable flash card, the lower portion is a craft to trace, color and assemble.
Craft Instructions and Learning Activities:
- Print template: This activity worksheet is more
effective and durable printed on stiff paper or card stock. To
add interest, print on pastel colors.
If working with a group, print one for display and for instruction. Distribute only the upper portion (flash card and tracer as one piece).
Tell the children they are going to play different games with a boat theme. They need to listen and follow instructions for the game.
- Game 1: Trace and Say the Letter - Assemble the flash
- Trace the large dotted letter (left) and sound out the word boat and point to the image (right side).
- Have the children trace the dotted letter with their finger first. Instruct to trace with color pencil or crayon.
- Color the boat image on the right
- Instruct children (or help) fold on the center line and apply
glue. One side of the card will show the tracer and the other
side the boat picture.
- Game 2: Craft - Trace, cut and assemble the craft
The lower part of the worksheet is an easy craft that will provide opportunities to trace, cut (scissor skills) and creativity in coloring, decorating and assembly (small motor skills).
Distribute the craft portion:
- Instruct the children to trace along the dotted lines of the different pieces in their favorite colors.
- Color, fill and decorate the pieces.
- Instruct the children to cut out the pieces.
- Assemble and glue to a piece of paper toward the bottom (light blue paper provides a sky background). Refer to the image in the flash card. The mast can be substituted with a wooden craft stick or Popsicle stick.
- Make a sailing scene with ocean water, a sun and drawn seagulls.
Activity > Alphabet > Trasnportation > What is a boat and alphabet Letter B Boat printable activities visit this companion lesson plan for this craft.
Activity > Music > Song > Row,
Row, your boat (YouTube video)
This activity can be incorporated within other educational topics listed in the themes column. The children can pretend they are fishermen.
Fishermen need water transportation, a boat or ship to fish. Introduce this community helper as part of the activities.
Activity > Safety > Water and Boating Safety Coloring Book [PDF format] courtesy of Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources.
1) Adjust margins if you have trouble fitting the template on one page, review Print Help for suggestions.
3) Click on the image in the bottom half of the screen to make that frame active. Then use the print function on your browser to print the active frame.
Water & Boating Safety Coloring Book [PDF]
Ages 5-8 - Courtesy of state.mn.us