Children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a chick or bird entirely assembled with basic shapes and during the process many skills can be addressed. The main body and head are an egg shape (a sort of oval). This emphasizes that birds hatch from eggs and invites discussion about the spring season and/or Easter festivities. Many other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Counting: Count how many of each size there
are, and how many in total.
You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help children to assemble the craft.
- Fold beak where indicated and paste under the eyes.
- Paste head over largest body oval.
- Paste wing hearts on the sides of the body.
- Paste the feet stars under or over body.
- Optional: Write Ch chick or the word chick on the body or behind the craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Trace and cut templates on fun foam, craft paper remnants, or brown paper bag material.
- Paste a few craft feathers to wings to emphasize that only birds have feathers.
- Paste wiggly eyes over the printed eyes.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to a craft stick or against a toilet paper roll for an instant hand or stand-up puppet.
- Greeting Card Option - Follow this diagram to create a greeting
card with the body egg template first.
Proceed to assemble the rest of the pieces with the folded egg card.
- Activity: Learn about
Birds > Chicken
Visit this lesson plan for information and resources to present the basics about eggs, hatching, and nutrition.
- Activity - Alphabet: Introduce or review: