The elephant is a highly intelligent
mammal and also the largest land animal.
The children will have fun making an easy shapes elephant
head craft and during the process many skills can be addressed. Many other support materials and
related activities are provided to enhance the presentation. Let's get started.
Activity #1: Easy Shapes Elephant Head Craft (10 pieces)
Ages 2+(with help)
This craft has 10
pieces. You may want to assemble some of the pieces ahead of time (pink inner
ears) to make the craft easier for children 2 to 3 years old.
Tell the children they are going to have fun with activities
related to a wonderful and fun animal: the elephant!
There are a number of ways to print and assemble this craft.
Review the options that best meet your needs.
Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print all three templates in color, cut out,
conduct learning activities below and
Option 2: Print all three templates in black and white.
Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed
Option 3: Print black & white template #1 & #2
onto your choice of color craft paper (gray paper for
example). Print template #3 color or black & white
version. Children can color in template #3 (inner ears and eyes
- tusks can remain white). Cut out and proceed as above.
Other decorations and ideas:
1. The center circle with face features can be glued to a CD.
2. Trace and cut pieces on fun foam or on Styrofoam trays.
3. Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration
4. Replace eye template with wiggly eyes.
5. Tape to a craft stick (Popsicle stick) for a hand puppet.
6. Glue head to lunch paper bag for a quick puppet
7. Fold the trunk template in accordion fashion and then glue.
Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose the activities you feel are appropriate for the ages of children.
Shapes & Colors Activity:
1. Identify all the shapes and colors: circles, ovals,
crescents, rectangle. Discuss the colors, on the template (GRAY
& PINK) or the
colors chosen by the children to color the pieces. Some children
like to discuss the colors as they choose them while coloring or
painting the templates.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
1. Sorting: Have the children sort the pieces by shape
2. Counting: Count how many of each shape and size there
are. You may want to write the numbers on the blank side
of the template to acquaint
the children with printed numbers.
3. Sizing: Ask the children which are bigger and
smaller. Which are the biggest shapes, which are the smallest
Proceed with craft assembly. Show the small image
provided in the template to help the children see how the finished
craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces. After
completing the craft the children can hold their finished craft while
conducting some of the activities below.
Activity > Animals > Learn about Elephants > Activities to learn about elephants, printaable flash card and mini-book activity, online puzzles.
Activity > Alphabet > Letter
E Elephant printable activities
Easy Shapes Elephant Head Craft
#1 | #2 | #3
Black & White
#1 | #2 | #3
Letter E Elephant Activities
this similar printable craft