Holidays and Events > Jan 26 > Australia Day, Feb 14th > Valentine's Day · Multicultural > Australia
Numbers - Math > counting, sizing, sorting
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft with heart shapes mostly and oval eyes. Review the head-only version for a beginner's craft.
Recommendation: Review printing and assembly options. Complete the head craft first and the learning activities suggested below, then complete the craft assembly.
Review the heart shapes animal crafts that are appropriate for various holidays and pets events.
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print template of your choice, color and decorate if that applies, conduct learning activities below, cut out and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white template to white paper or your choice of color craft paper, and color. Conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Discuss the colors on the template.
- Numbers and pre-math activities: To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Have the children sort the shapes by size, from small to large.
- Count how many shapes in each size. You may want to write the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
Show the small image of the finished craft featured in the template to help the children assemble the craft. Assemble head first.
- To help the youngest kids, you may want to make some light pencil markings for the positioning of the pieces on the head template.
- Have the children practice placing the pieces, starting with the head, as if they were assembling a puzzle.
- To ensure that all the pieces fit, glue the nose first at the lowest edge of the head.
- Glue eyes, very close to the nose.
- Glue ears on the sides of the head as illustrated.
- Glue head on the body's upper edge.
- Glue feet. Note: the feet should be cut out as one piece for easier assembly.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Kk koala behind the craft.
- Trace and cut the pieces from any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes, or glue black only circles or pom poms for a more realistic koala.
- Tape the craft to a craft stick or drinking straw for a hand puppet.
- To help it stand, attach to a paper cylinder or a portion of a toilet paper tube. Use painter's tape for easy removal.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero minimum or review Print Help.
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about the koala lesson plan and resouces.
- Alphabet > Introduce or review. Level 1 for younger preschoolers, and Level 2 up to first grade level.
Letter K koala Level 1
Letter K koala Level 2