Let's have fun making an easy and fun craft assembled with
basic shapes and during the
crafting process many skills can be addressed.
Owl theme lesson plan activities:
- choice of paper: construction paper, or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
- Optional: large wiggly eyes
Instructions:Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template if using the color template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
shapes by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each type and size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers. in this activity you may want to also count the inner black eyes.
The template has a small illustration of the finished owl craft to help children have an idea of how it looks when assembled.
- Glue eyes in larger circles
- Glue large circle into the larger circle in designated area
- Glue small triangle beak in large triangle
- Glue large triangle inverted between eyes
- Glue oval feets
Other options, decorations and ideas:
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Make a greeting card for other occasions (St. Valentine's,
Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day:
Fold a piece on paper or card stock in half and attach on the front. Write greeting message inside.
- Add craft feathers (two on the sides of the triangle points to add a realistic touch.
- Eyes template can be substituted by large sized wiggly eyes
(size 25 mm),
and the rest of the pieces can be cut from foam sheets.
Nocturnal Scene (can be used for Halloween theme also) Owls are noctunal birds, this means they are active at night. Older children can make a poster by making a nocturnal landscape of an owl perched on a tree branch.
Materials: blue construction paper for backgrouond, brown construction paper or grocery bag material for tree branch, small white paper circle for the moon, and assembled owl craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Accessories for holidays:
Complimentary alphabet printable activities: