- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
The giant panda is truly a unique bear that is recognized and loved the world over. The giant panda is revered in its homeland, the country of China.
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft (two versions) assembled with heart shapes. The head only craft has large pieces and is suitable for older toddlers to under age 5 and large groups. Note: pre-paste small eyes for toddlers. The large craft version has chest and arms template that can be pre-pasted over the body.
Recommendation: Review printing and assembly options. Complete the head craft first and the learning activities suggested below. Assemble the body after a break or on a separate day with a related activity.
Review the heart shapes animal crafts that are appropriate for various holidays and pets events.
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print template of your choice, color and decorate if that applies, conduct learning activities below, cut out and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white template to your choice of color craft paper, and color in sections desired, such as eye ball, inner ears, nose, feet features. Conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Discuss the colors on the template.
- Numbers and pre-math activities: To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Have the children sort the shapes by size, from small to large.
- Count how many shapes in each size. You may want to write the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
Body: At your discretion skip the sorting, counting activity for the body portion.
Show the small image of the finished craft featured in the template to help the children assemble the craft. Assemble head first.
- Glue ears in front or behind the head. Make sure not to cover the dashed hearts designated for the eyes.
- Eyes: Glue black hearts that fit the dashed hearts area for the eyes in the head
- Paste the circle eyes in the above eyepieces, or replace with plastic wiggly eyes.
- Mouth: Glue small heart nose (red) on top of white heart with dashed hearts that fit this piece.
Step 3 is not necessary for full body craft.
- Glue the mouth piece slighthly under the head in the lower portion.
- Nose: Glue smallest black heart above and aligned with the mouth piece. Head is now complete.
- Glue arms/chest piece over larger body piece. If you want movable arms that liff, only glue at the top.
- Paste hearts feet. These should be cut out as one piece for easier assembly.
- Past assembled head.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Pp in the body or behind the craft.
- Trace and cut pieces from any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes or glue a pom pom for the nose.
- Tape the craft to a craft stick or drinking straw for a hand puppet.
- Paste craft to lunch paper bag for a quick puppet.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero minimum or review Print Help.
Panda Hearts large craft:
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about the panda bear lesson plan and resouces.
- Alphabet > Introduce or review: