Holidays & Events > May > Transportation Month | Aug & Sep > Back to School | Oct > Safety > Nat'l School bus Safety Week > 3rd full week
This craft can be fun to help children with a first child care, preschool, kindergarten and first-grade experience and to discuss safety issues associated with driving a school bus, a van or any type of motorized vehicle.
- paper or card stock (or yellow paper for B&W template 1)
- coloring tools for black & white templates
- optional: brass fasteners for wheels
Craft Instructions and Learning Activities:
- For children age 3 and under print template B&W 2 (bus) to yellow paper and they can color the elements in template 2. Children can glue elements directly to
the bus template without cutting out the bus.
- For children age 4+ print templates in color or B&W and
encourage scissor cutting skills. The
wheels can be attached with two fasteners
which allows them to move around.
- Learning activities to conduct before school bus craft assembly:
- Identify colors and any shapes on the templates. Some children
like to discuss the colors as they choose them while coloring or
painting the templates.
- Optional: practice numerals and count the
pieces. Write numerals in the back of the template elements in the order of assembly and turn face down. The bus can be #1, windows numbered from left to right 2, 3, 4, 5, door #6 and wheels #7 and
- Identify colors and any shapes on the templates. Some children like to discuss the colors as they choose them while coloring or painting the templates.
- Craft assembly:
- Glue windows from left to right
- Glue door
- Glue wheels or attach with fasteners
- Optional: Write the word school bus or van on the craft
Color Template 1 & Template 2
B&W Template 1 & Template 2
Resources: School Bus Lesson Plan: Visit the companion lesson plan for this craft, it includes: safety resources, song and other activities.
1) Adjust margins if you have trouble fitting the template on one page, review Print Help for suggestions.
3) Click on the image in the bottom half of the screen to make that frame active. Then use the print function on your browser to print the active frame.
Boarding the school bus
[land transport coloring]
Themes -- Back to School -- Transportation >