The Tortoise and the Hare Fable
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Crafts
- coloring tools
- Review crafts for additional materials needed
Aesop's Fables are an
entertaining way to foster the love of reading, increase vocabulary
and learn a life lesson that will be useful to our children for the
rest of their lives.
I suggest a good place to start is to explain in simple terms what is a fable.
fable - story that teaches a lesson: a short story with a moral, especially one in which the characters are animals.
Children enjoy fables because most of them feature animals as the main characters.
Activity: Read, listen and watch the fable
Discuss the lesson of this fable and maybe you can come up with some real life situations that apply to it.
Option 1: The Tortoise an the Hare (read-print and video at YouTube)
Option 2: The Tortoise and the Hare (print & read poster or B&W)Printable activities:
All of these materials are intended to will help you make a memorable and fun presentation of the fable.
The Tortoise and the Hare:
- Activity > Maze > to practice problem solving skills and early handwriting skills
- Activity > The Tortoise and the Hare coloring pages
- Hare Crafts: Practice a variety of skills. Can be used as a flannel board character, stick puppet or paper bag puppet to aid in telling the story. The children can make their own.
- Easy Shapes Tortoise or Turtle Craft: practice shapes, counting, sorting and sizing. This craft can be made as a separate activity to revisit the fable and address more learning skills.
Alphabet Activities: This is a good opportunity to incorporate presentations for Letter H Hare and Letter T Turtle or Tortoise.
External resources @ dltk-teach.com:
Finger puppets (color or black & white version) Children can also have fun coloring these adorable finger puppets. Adult may need to help with the scissor cutting. Incorporate in the discussion and reading.